It may take more than four hours to make, but this roast beef is succulent, flavorful, and unbelievably tender.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours 30 minutes
4 kilograms beef brisket or any beef that is good for roasting
FOR THE SAUCE
2 cups meat drippings
1 cup water
1 1⁄2 cup cooking cream
1 piece red onion, minced
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons seasoned vinegar
2 handfuls of dried mushrooms
1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
FOR THE RUB
1⁄2 cup toasted peppercorns, coarsely cracked
1 tablespoon ground coriander (coriander seeds, if available)
1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 149°C.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the rub and mix.
3. Rub raw brisket meat generously.
4. Place the pan in the oven and cook the brisket at 149°C for 4 hours.
FOR THE SAUCE
1. In a pot, sauté the red onion, garlic, and ginger in butter until brown and caramelized.
2. After the brisket is done cooking, get 2 cups of its drippings. Pour over the sautéed onions and add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce except the cream.
3. Reduce until sauce is slightly thick and mushrooms are tender—about 15-20 minutes. Then add cream to thicken the sauce.
4. Mix the sauce with the meat. Season with salt and freshly- cracked pepper.
5. Garnish with more mushrooms, parsley, and rub.
This recipe was originally published in the December 2016 – January 2017 issue of Breakfast Magazine.