A vegetarian-friendly dish that even carnivores will enjoy.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 pieces shallots, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
400 grams Arborio rice
200 grams asparagus
1 cup of white wine
1 1⁄2 liters + 1 cup of vegetable stock
125 ml of cream
1 ounce of basil
30 grams of grated Parmesan
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
3 carrots, julienned
Garlic powder, to taste
Extra olive oil, as needed
1. Chop off the tips of the asparagus and set them aside. Chop the stalks into small pieces and set aside. Julienne the carrots and asparagus in a bit of olive oil, a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. Blend the basil with the cream and 1 cup of the vegetable stock, set aside.
3. In a pan, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté chopped shallots until translucent.
Add the minced garlic and rice. Stir for about 1 minute. Then, add the white wine and
let it reduce.
4. Start adding vegetable stock one ladle at a time and keep stirring. Once the liquid
has reduced to half, keep adding more stock and stir. Keep doing this for about 20
minutes, until the rice is cooked.
5. Add the chopped asparagus stalks to the risotto along with the basil cream and
parmesan. Stir until everything is combined and let it cook for about 1 minute to allow the liquid to evaporate a bit and become creamy again. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with sautéed asparagus tips and sautéed carrots on top of the risotto. Finish with a sprinkle of extra Parmesan on top.
This recipe was originally published in the February-March 2016 issue of Breakfast Magazine.