This Pinoy-style donburi bowl highlights savory prime cuts of boneless beef brisket sauteed in comforting notes of soy sauce and mirin. Fire up the pan for this easy peasy rice bowl.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 6 pieces garlic, chopped finely
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 500 grams bone brisket, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- water, as needed
- 800 grams cooked white rice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 piece leeks, thinly sliced
- 5 pieces spring onions, thinly sliced
1. Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add beef brisket and saute until brown. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, vinegar, bay leaf, sugar, and water. Simmer until the beef is tender.
2. Remove beef from liquid and chill at room temperature. Set aside cooking liquid. Deep fry beef until brown and crispy.
3. Reduce the cooking liquid in half.
4. To assemble, drizzle reduced cooking liquid on top of white rice, then top with crispy beef brisket. Put egg yolks in the middle and top sliced leeks and spring onions.
Want more rice bowl recipes? Read on!