By adding tofu to cheesecake, this Japanese-inspired version becomes lighter without sacrificing the flavor.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
125 grams crushed graham
125 grams crushed nori sheets
400 grams cream cheese
250 grams white sugar
2 pieces Japanese silken tofu tube
100 grams soft unsalted butter
2 pieces whole egg
1 pack sour cream
1. In a mixing bowl, combine grahams, nori, butter, and 50 grams white sugar. Mix thoroughly.
2. Line a pie mold with aluminum foil. Transfer the graham mixture to form a thin crust (less than half an inch in height). Press firmly and evenly. Set aside.
3. Using a paddle mixer, combine cream cheese and 200 grams white sugar. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add silken tofu, sour cream, whole egg, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour cheesecake mixture into the crust, using the bain-marie technique.
6. Bake in a preheated oven, 200°F for 2 hours.
Bain-marie is the French term for water bath, similar with steam cooking.
Recipe by Chef Niño Laus of Ninyo Fusion Cuisine
Photography by Justin de Jesus
This recipe was originally published in the April-May 2018 issue of Breakfast Magazine.