Served with a savory aioli flavored with bagoong (fermented shrimp paste), this golden fried concoction is absolute perfection.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
250 grams orange kamote
75 grams Vigan longganisa
1000 mL vegetable oil
25 grams flour
50 grams bread crumbs
75 grams cheese
For the Bagoong Aioli Sauce
40 grams mayonnaise
5 grams garic
1 teaspoon bagoong isda
1 teaspoon honey
1⁄2 teaspoon kalamansi juice
1. Ready and prepare water for boiling the kamote. Clean and peel kamote and cut into chunks. Add into the boiling water until cooked. Set aside to cool.
2. Mash the boiled kamote when cooled.
3. Remove the longganisa’s skins and cook in a pan. Set aside in a strainer.
4. Prepare another pan for frying in medium heat.
5. Prepare three small individual bowls for the flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. One by one, put the ball-shaped croquettas into the bowls of flour, followed by the egg, and then the breadcrumbs. Carefully fry the breaded croquettas in the frying pan until golden brown.
6. Mix all the sauce ingredients to prepare for the bagoong aioli sauce.
7. Assemble the fried croquettas with the bagoong aioli on the side in a ramekin. You can opt to garnish with a dash of paprika or chopped parsley before serving.
Recipe by Chef Chris de Jesus of Provenciano
Photography by Justin de Jesus
This recipe was originally published in the April-May 2018 issue of Breakfast Magazine.