A recipe popular all over Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore, the rendang is a rich stew doused in coconut and boasts a burst of flavor. Try it in pulled pork version over cucumber rice with this recipe!
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 onion finely, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 6 pieces garlic, finely chopped
- 1 piece red chili, finely chopped
- 2 pieces lemongrass, white part only and smashed
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 500 grams pork kasim, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- salt, to taste
FOR THE CUCUMBER RICE
- 800 grams cooked white rice
- 1 piece cucumber, diced
- 1 stalk cilantro, chopped
1. Saute onion, ginger, garlic, red chili, and lemongrass. Add pork cubes and saute until brown. Then, add ground turmeric and cumin.
2. Pour in the coconut cream and water. Then, season with sugar, fish sauce, and salt. Simmer until pork is tender. Once tender, shred the meat using a fork.
3. Mix cooked white rice and diced cucumber. Add chopped cilantro and mix.
4. To assemble, put the shredded pork rendang on top of cucumber rice. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Want more Asian-inspired recipes? Check out this Steeped Chicken Ginger Lemongrass recipe next!