This Chinese-inspired meal packs on subtle notes of different layers of flavor. Essences of different herbs and the natural juices from the chicken meat merge for an all-around fragrant bowl.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Serves 4
- 4 pieces chicken breast with skin
- salt, to taste
- 1 piece ginger, grated
- 6 stalks spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 stalks cilantro
- fried garlic, store-bought
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy, store-bought
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic, store-bought
FOR THE RICE
- 4 pieces garlic, grated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 800 grams white rice, cooked
1. Combine chicken breast, salt, ginger, spring onions, sesame oil, water, and fish sauce in a pot. Simmer chicken for 30 minutes until tender. Let chicken rest in stock for 3 hours in refrigerator.
2. For the rice, saute grated ginger, garlic, and lemongrass in oil. Mix with cooked white rice. Mix chopped spring onions.
3. To assemble, slice chicken breast into small slices. Serve chicken cold on top of warm rice and garnish with cilantro and fried garlic. Best served with sweet soy and chili garlic as condiments.
Chef’s Note: You can also opt to add edible flowers and sorrel as finishing touches to the dish.
For more rice bowl recipes, check out the next dish!