This fruity show-stopper is perfect for any gathering because it will definitely make your guests go “Wow!” then ask for more.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Finishing Time: 25 minutes
FOR THE TACO
10 pieces Polabrod (traditional Swedish flatbread, or any flatbread like naan or flat taco)
100 grams refined white sugar
60 ml water
40 grams butter
1. Preheat oven to 160° C.
2. Lay all of the flatbread in a baking tray.
3. Prepare syrup by boiling water and sugar until light amber in color. Fold in butter.
4. Spread syrup on top of each flatbread, making sure you coat each flatbread evenly.
5. Bake for 15 minutes until flatbread is toasted and golden in color.
6. Cool down to room temperature and set aside.
FOR THE MANGO BUTTERSCOTCH BARS
65 grams unsalted butter
125 grams brown sugar
1 whole egg
3 grams vanilla extract
175 grams all-purpose flour
3 grams baking powder
5 grams salt
175 grams dried mangoes, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 170° C.
2. Brush a small baking pan with oil and dust with flour.
3. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Remove from heat then add sugar, vanilla, and egg and beat using a rubber spatula until well-mixed.
5. Fold in dry ingredients.
6. Finally, fold in chopped dried mangoes.
7. Pour over prepared baking tray.
8. Bake for 25 minutes.
9. Cool to room temperature then place inside the chiller until ready to slice.
FOR THE COCONUT CUSTARD CREAM
125 grams coconut milk
30 grams white sugar
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
15 grams cornstarch
75 grams butter
1. In a bowl, whisk together the whole egg and yolks and cornstarch.
2. In a medium-sized sauce pot, boil coconut milk and sugar. Reduce to a simmer.
3. Temper eggs by pouring ¼ part of the simmering milk while whisking.
4. Pour back egg mixture to the rest of the simmering mixture. Whisk vigorously and avoid overcooking the mixture
5. Remove from heat. Blend in butter using a whisk.
6. Cool to room temperature then place inside the chiller.
FOR THE CALAMANSI GELEE
100 ml calamansi juice
50 ml water
50 grams white sugar
2 gelatin sheets or 5 grams gelatin powder,
soaked and bloomed in ice water
1. Drain gelatin then set aside.
2. In a small saucepot, simmer calamansi juice and sugar. Add gelatin and stir until gelatin is melted completely.
3. Pour over a baking tray and chill until set.
75 grams cornicks
125 grams mango jam
25 grams cocoa nibs
Chocolate mint leaves
1. Slice cooled mango bars into bite-sized cubes.
2. Slice calamansi gelee into small cubes or cylinders
3. Lay out all the toasted flatbreads.
4. Using a spoon, spread mango jam on half of the flatbread then the coconut custard cream on the other half.
5. Top off with 5 pieces of the mango butterscotch and 4 pieces of the calamansi gelee.
6. Sprinkle with some cornicks, cocoa nibs, and mint leaves.
To make the taco a bit more interesting, top off with dried coconut meat and coconut foam.
You can find chocolate mint leaves at the weekend market in Quezon City Circle.
This recipe was originally published in the June-July 2015 issue of Breakfast Magazine.