Ube and yema in one amazing dessert? This is going to be irresistible.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
100 grams ube, mashed
1 can condensed milk
3 egg yolks
3 cups vanilla
50 grams white sugar
1. Prepare and wash ube thoroughly until clean. Prepare a pot with water enough to submerge the
ube and cook until fork- tender. Peel, mash, and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix condensed milk with egg yolks and vanilla.
3. Slowly mix the custard mixture into a non-stick pan in low heat. Continuously stir the mix with a wood or silicon spatula until it gets curdled.
4. Add the mashed ube into the custard mixture. Mix together slowly until the concoction solidifies.
5. While warm, take a teaspoonful of the mixture, shape into balls, and set aside.
6. Prepare a small nonstick pan enough to melt the white sugar. Carefully dip the ball-shaped yema into the caramel mixture. Allow to cool in a nonstick tray or a silicon mat.
Recipe by Chef Chris de Jesus
Photography by Justin de Jesus
This recipe was originally published in the April-May 2018 issue of Breakfast Magazine.